Photo from ADA.Marcu
“For after all, the best thing one can do when it’s raining is to let it rain.” – Henry Wadworth Longfellow
Sometimes life does not give us our happy ending. When this happens, we feel so consumed in our negative feelings of self-pity and regret. This is where we get stuck. All our time and energy is wasted on thinking, talking, and complaining about the misfortunes of our lives. Guess what happens next? Resistance. All the negative energy blocks out all the positive things that we have.
The key to acceptance is living in the present. Don’t dwell in the past and what could happen in the future. The “if only” and the “what if” reasoning only makes us mentally sick. But, we all have control of what happens in our lives right now. Let’s use that power of NOW (the present) to move us towards progression. Here’s some tips to get us started:
- Be aware of your feelings. Ask yourself: “What’s going on inside me at the moment?” The answer will lead you in the right direction in making adjustments.
- Live in the present. Your past has no power over you. It is simply the past. Let it go, you don’t need it anymore.
- Forgive Yourself. Nothing you have done in your past can outshine the wonderful person you are and will be.
- Surrender. Give up the resistance. Accept things fully.
- Don’t look for peace. Don’t look for anything or expect things that you aren’t currently experiencing right now. This is where conflict begins. Instead, remember that every moment (you are living now) is the best moment.