Photo from jimbabwe_23
“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” – Andre Gide
Photo from d0u81a5
Speedo Guy from: Truth About Duke
With the advent of social media sites, we are bombarded daily with a plethora of diverse opinions. All too often our voice can be lost in the drone of mediocrity. How can we break through the noise and let our “signal” be heard? Here are 7 ways.
- Keep it short – Brevity is wisdom; keep your words clear and concise.
- Question everything – Don’t swallow every bit of information you hear and take it at face value. Ask yourself why do I feel or think this way? Know what you believe in and why.
- Be different – This is so simple and yet difficult at the same time. Don’t give in to peer pressure. The masses are only too eager to follow and hate brand X or love person Y and then parrot each other, thinking that they are unique. Set your own course and speak your mind.
- Keep it simple – Any fool can grab a thesaurus and confabulate eloquently. However, it takes a true genius to speak simply so that everyone may understand. Big words are fine, but to appeal to a wider audience, keep it simple.
- Think rationally – Speaking words in a moment of anger will make you feel good now, but you may soon live to regret it. It takes more strength to walk away then it does to engage in a fight. What is your goal? What are you trying to accomplish? Think before you speak.
- Control the swearing – While we all enjoy a spicy sentence sandwich from time to time, swearing is one of the surefire ways to not be heard and blend in with the noise. Do you want to be unique and sound intelligent? Then cut the swearing to a minimum.
- Hold your tongue – Silence is golden. Knowing when to keep silent shows others that what you have to say is important. Speak when everyone is ready to give you their full attention and listen.